Friday, December 09, 2005

The Ad Game

Well, the major parties have unveiled their TV ads over the past week or so, and I've finally gotten around to watching them. I have to say that for the most part, I was left uninspired, and unimpressed, so here's my colour commentary.

I started off looking at the ads put out by the political party that left me by the wayside: the Conservative Party of Canada. Now, if you're one of the millions of Canadians who think that Stephen Harper is stiff, impersonal, overly academic, and flat out not real, then the CPC ads will do plenty to reinforce that viewpoint. All we get out of their English language ads is a fake TV news interview on a ridiculous set, complete with a clearly fake interviewer and contrived video questions from "ordinary" Canadians. I wonder what they got paid for their "questions." The CPC's French language ads fared a bit better in my mind, attempting to paint the Tories as an alternative to the Liberals and the Bloc. However, any goodwill generated will be lost on most people in Quebec after they see the end of the ad, which is the bit about who authorized the ad. What got me was the way they worded it, and their effort to note that their advertising was paid for with "l'argent propre," or "clean money." I have never seen such a cheap and insulting use of negative advertising. It proves flat out that the Tories aren't interested in being positive and proactive. They are relying on being so negative as to give voters nowhere to turn but to Stephen Harper's warm embrace. Perhaps, once the man gets a pulse, he might be a bit more appealing. In the meantime, keep looking.

On to the NDP. Their "TV" ads have yet to hit the airwaves, but instead are on NDP Online TV, which is to say, a short page on their website. The ads are simple, which can be a good thing. They feature NDP Leader Jack Layton (I still think that the mustache makes him look like a used car salesman), talking about the Liberals. Again, we see political advertising devoid of any vision, and devoted to spin and half-truths about the past, instead of vision for the future. The ads seem to be a bit dark as well, but clearly the NDP didn't spend much money making the ads, so I doubt they spent much on post-production either. In any case, for a party that seems to think so little of the Liberals, it's really quite remarkable how long Jack Layton's NDP voted with, stood up for, and defended said Liberals. I guess we're supposed to forget about that.

Now, on to the Liberal ads. There are 3 ads out so far. The first one I actually have to give top marks to. It's brilliant in its simplicity. The ad features snippets from various newspapers touting the accomplishments of Paul Martin's minority government. We see figures on job creation, the economy, softwood lumber, etc. The choice of music evokes the right feelings, and the short, but simple voiceover at the end drives the message home. In political terms, it's classic sunshine and puppydogs. The next two ads are basically the same ad, with a different cast. We see a bunch of Liberals talking about why they plan on voting Liberal this election. It's a little cheesy, and a bit contrived, but still head and shoulders above what we've seen from the other parties.

So, here's my advice. To the Liberal ad crew, well, you guys don't need my advice, so I'll move on. To the NDP: check your lighting levels, and don't forget who you worked with to get what you wanted for the last 17 months. To Stephen Harper: fire your publicity people...again. It'll give you a chance to break in that revolving door in the CPC Leader's Office. In any case, after you fire said crew, hire some people who can give you an image makeover so that your ads are warmer than winter in Medicine Hat.

3 comments:

Blogger said...

I hate their ads as well.

rewrite said...

Interesting that all you can come up with to sneer at Harper is that he is not warm. I have to say I prefer that to the smarmy forced smile of Martin's. I think we need a loud and clear message to all politicians. Cheat us and your FIRED! Vote Liberal and support organized crime.

The Editor said...

Well, as you can see, there is plenty more to sneer at now than there was before. Next, unlike Conservatives, I restrict my criticism of them to the point at hand, in this case the ads being run by that Party. Nice of you to show up though, and exercise the usual Tory tactics of changing the subject through dishonesty and hyperbole to argue a point that you couldn't prove logically.