Thursday, September 18, 2008

What the Hell is Going On?

So, being a student of the basics of campaigning, and seeing where Stephen Harper is in the polls, I had this entire campaign figured out. At the start of the campaign, the Opposition parties, led by the Liberals, would begin a relentless attack on Stephen Harper's record of lies, broken promises, and scare tactics. They'd say that his record was shameful, that he was destroying our economy, pushing us into deficit, handing out massive giveaways to the people at the top, while giving nothing to those lower on the ladder. It would all get laid out there, in a multimedia attack campaign that would occupy the first third or so of the campaign. After all, the only way to debate an incumbent on equal terms is to pull him down into the mud with you. It may not be pretty, and I'm fully aware that Canadians SAY that sort of thing doesn't work with them, but study after study has proven the precise opposite. Negative advertising works, and it works well.

Imagine my surprise when I saw virtually NO television ad buys from the Liberals. All of a sudden, I'm seeing polls suggesting that the LPC could be reduced to as few as four seats in BC. In the darkest hours of the sponsorship fiasco, the Liberals managed to increase their seat count in BC, but things look far worse now. Finally, the other night, I saw what appeared to be a ray of light. The ad talked about Harper's so-called strong leadership, and then pointed out how under that strong leadership, people were out of work, kids were living in poverty, and we were destroying the environment. "Finally," I thought to myself, "the Liberals have woken up and have realized that it's time to start throwing some punches." Imagine my surprise then when Jack Layton popped on screen at the end of the ad preaching his vision.

I know that the Liberal Party is short on funds. I know that they have to pick their battles. But here's the reality: not getting out there and hitting Stephen Harper will be the biggest mistake they make. It's not enough to take a few potshots at him in Leader's Tour events. It's time for some serious national ad buys to brand this Prime Minister for what he is. It's time for the Liberal party to start throwing some punches instead of just taking them all the time. If that doesn't happen, the Liberal Party could end up in Third Party status in a Harper majority. You can't undo a majority government.

4 comments:

Deb Prothero said...

You hit the nail on the head by saying that the Liberals need an infusion of money. BUT you neglected to say how much you sent as a leadership gift. My husband and I will be maxed out on contributions at the rate we're going. We are giving til it hurts because its that important.

Say how much you sent then I'll believe you care otherwise you are whining.

Gayle said...

What deb said - and that goes for ALL the LPC supporters who are complaining.

MERBOY said...

I thought I read somewhere that all 3 of the major parties intend to spend the maximum allowed by Elections Canada for this election...

The Editor said...

I'm not going to give a dollar figure, but I will say this: I am a full-time student working part-time. I have given what I can, and I will continue to do so, but I don't have the means to max out my contribution. I am volunteering on two different campaigns, so frankly, I am giving of my time AND my money to the maximum that I can. So, just like you deb, I'm giving until it hurts as well.